Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Down the Rabbit Hole, Nathaniel Halstead [C]
Nathaniel Halsted
 Posted: Apr 13 2018, 03:18 PM
Nathaniel Halsted
@MarcyPan

@Hotrod: Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Nate rolled his eyes at his sarcasm, "All the sarcasm in the world isn't going to change the fact that you're full of shit, Cezanne." The journalist had obviously held back information, which the detective would be more willing to forgive had they not nearly died.

Now the man was getting as worked up at Nate was, his face leaning closer to the detectives. So close they were practically spitting in each other's mouths. "Watch me!" He spat back as Cez informed him he wasn't telling anyone. Nate threw his hands up in frustration, "Oh, really? Because if you were on your own last night, you would've been tonight's BBQ dinner." Nathan had no intention of backing down. "You aren't the only fucker in the art world, don't act like this isn't a two-way street. You need me as much as I need you." His fists tighten at his sides, imagining how good it would feel to ring his neck the way Homer Simpson rings Barts' neck. "If I'm so fucking incompetent at my job, why in the hell did you choose me to help you with this case?"

As he waited for his answer, he lost some of his steam, this was a shit show. "Look, Cezanne, all I'm saying is that you trust me. Quit giving me half-truths, and maybe at the very least hear me out before your next crazy idea. I want to catch them as much as you do, but we won't be able to help anyone if we're dead." He sighed sitting back down on the bed. "We can't risk this kind of shit show, next time we won't be so lucky. I know you think I'm some useless cop, but I have been doing this for a long time." He looked back up at him, rolling his eyes at his last words."Shut up! Drop that holier-than-thou bull shit. I swear to fucking god. At this exact moment, I am wondering why I chose to save you and not follow the witness."

His hands rubbed over his face trying to decide exactly how to tell him. At the end of the day, the detective couldn't walk away from this case. Not only because those girls needed to be rescued, but because he knew damn well this crazy mother fucker would go chasing after them alone and get murdered. At least this way they could get murdered together. end sarcasm.

"Remember the woman that was there when they got us? I mean, she had that feathered mask on." He shrugged, "Anyhow, the point is, she helped me out of that damn drain? Fountain? Fuck, I don't know what that was, but she got me out. Told me her name was Jessica Fontaine." He thought back to last night and her face, "She said she was tired of it, that she had a story for me, but wanted immunity. Which, of course, I said yes, but she was spooked and wanted to leave, and I was not about to leave without you." He stood up, "We have to go find her, and since you seem to think I can't even track down a witness without fucking it up, let's move. I would've said that putting out a bolo on her would be faster, but I'll save us both that argument, and tell you I have her home address from her DMV records." He looked at Cez, "Shall we?"

"."

by FEV
PM
^
Cezanne Beauvais
 Posted: Apr 13 2018, 04:43 PM
Cezanne Beauvais
@Lashes

@Dominique Alarie: N/A

Date: Sunday, June 25, 2017

Song

Outfit

Cezanne said nothing, while Nathan went off on him again. He could see the man’s hands tightening at his sides. Then came his question, his wondering why he had been chosen to be brought into this in the first place. Cezanne had to keep himself from throwing back some less than satisfactory response at Nathan. It would only serve to make things worse. So, instead of answering the detective, he remained silent, his eyes moving away to some piece of shit picture on the wall. Some scenic view on display, easily forgotten, and yet somehow it was more intriguing than listening to Nathan continuously rant and rave.

The silence must have helped alleviate the tension, as Nathan calmed down a fraction. The man asked for trust, but trust wasn’t something easy to come by. Especially coming from someone who was just itching to tell his department what was going on. Someone, who at any moment, could try to take this whole thing over. It was easy for Nathan to want to share the information, no one knew him. At this moment, seeing how many people were involved, Cezanne wasn’t sure he knew who he could trust within his own community. And some of them had seen his face. That meant that they might have known who he was, though judging by their questions, it didn’t seem likely. Even still, he was worried. No one knew Nathan, the detective, the cop. Trust, it didn’t seem likely.

He cast a quick glance Nathan’s way, momentarily watching the man rub his hands over his face. It seemed as though he was considering his words. Cezanne waited silently, hoping the detective would share his lead. Sure enough, that’s exactly what Nathan did. At the mention of Jessica and her words, the fire at the hotel made a lot more sense. The was a lengthy pause, as the journalist made no move to follow his partner.

“I’d imagine she’d have quite a story…” Cezanne began, turning his head slightly to face Nathan directly, “I don’t think you need to worry about records. The hotel’s her home address. Jessica Fontaine owns Wonderland Hotel.” COMMERCIAL. LOL thanks a lot!

Cez looked over at the tv, moving for the remote and giving the power button a press. The screen lit up, and after a flips of the channel, the news came on. At the bottom of the screen flashed upcoming stories, one such story featured a fire raging at a hotel on Somerville Key. The body of one unidentified victim discovered.

“Can you find out about that?” the journalist asked, his eyes remaining fixed on the screen.

FEV
PM
^
Nathaniel Halsted
 Posted: Apr 14 2018, 04:24 PM
Nathaniel Halsted
@MarcyPan

Nate pause when he realized Cezanne wasn't following, he waited as the journalist spoke. Figures he'd know exactly who she was, this community of his was incestuous. The way they all knew each other, they were worse than the junior league women. Before Cezanne came along and planted this hot mess on his lap-- Get your mind out of the gutter. He'd been finishing up a case at the country club. When the tennies instructor turned up dead, it wasn't surprising when it turned out one of his students killed him, out of jealousy. The trainer was a bit of a whore, clears throat he was sleeping with most of his students, one of the junior league ladies found out and flew into a jealous rage. Sometimes it was the most obvious suspect.

The detective stared at Cezanne in shock, frozen to his spot, she owned the damn hotel, the same one that had been on fire last night. He wished he'd been able to stop her, to convince her to come with him, but it was too late to think about that now. She was in the wind, and currently their most valuable asset. He had to find her. They needed to get to her first. Especially given the fact that you didn't know who you could trust, those people at that party, one thing was for sure, they were people of power, from more than just the journalist world. He took out his phone scrolling over his e-mail.

He lifted his gaze from his messages as the newscaster spoke, one victim. Nate gave a nod his eyes were glued to the screen as images from last night flashed as the woman continued to report on the breaking story. He watched as firefighters worked on putting the fire out, and then those same firemen walked through the rubble that was the hotel the next day. No one could survive that. "At this time we do not know what caused the fire, or if there were any other victims. Firefighters are still searching for any other victims through the remains of this once magnificent hotel. It is unknown if the owner Jessica Fontaine was on the premise when the fire broke out, or how many guests the hotel had. We've been unable to reach her, and we've been told the police has also been unable to locate the owner. More as this story develops." They cut to commercials.

Nate hoped that one of those men was the found victim, they had, after all, ran to the fire. Who knew tho, He went back to his phone, calling the forensics department. Luckily he was on good terms with the head of the department, so he didn't have to worry about explaining why he wanted to know. The body was too chared for them to be able to get much DNA from it, let alone fingerprints. What his colleague could tell him right now, however, was that it was a female body approximately five feet ten, probably late thirties early forties. His hopes had fallen with that information alone. It was more than likely Jessica they both agreed. However, she was waiting on dental records to come in. She'd text him once it was definite.

Nathan hung up the phone feeling that anger rise in him, god damn it, if only... But it was too late for those pesky 'ifs.' She was very likely dead. "They are waiting on dental records, but it's very likely her. She said she'd let me know when they were one hundred percent sure." He let out a heavy sigh, "She was right there, everything just moved so fast." He didn't regret going to save Cezanne, he just regretted not having been able to convince her to come with him. To assure her he could protect her, maybe if he had she'd be alive. He stared at the television without watching it for a while. It was at least an hour before his phone chimed with a text. Once the detective read it, he turned to Cez with a nod, "It's confirmed, the body was Jessica Fontaine, she's dead."

He continued to stare at his partner, waiting for him to now share his lead. Perhaps they'd have better luck with that one.

"."

by FEV
PM
^
Cezanne Beauvais
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 06:15 AM
Cezanne Beauvais
@Lashes

Song

Outfit

The scene at Wonderland Hotel presented itself on the screen. Cezanne took a seat on Nathan’s lap the bed, as he watched the image of the smoldering debris behind the reporter. A sizeable portion of the building had collapsed. What remained standing was scorched and charred. He listened to the reporter go on, explaining what was known as of the time being. Already, a sinking feeling began to grow inside him. Jessica wanted to leave, but just like in their case, the cult wasn’t going to just let her go. Perhaps she thought setting fire to the hotel would absolve her from having to hold events there. Looking at it now, it would turn her into a potential liability. Or maybe she wanted to blame the fire on the two party crashers...He wondered if they’d ever really know.

Nathan made a call, and Cezanne stood by, waiting to see what information the detective would come up with. By the look on the man’s face, it wasn’t good news. When Nathan hung up, he informed the journalist of what they both already suspected. Jessica was most likely deceased. Killed in the fire, though it was definitely possible, and likely, she was murdered prior to being burned. There went Nathan’s lead. No, not Nathan’s lead, their lead. They were a team after all.

The detective looked disappointed enough for the both of them. Besides, Cezanne still had his lead. There was still Bernard. He just had to think of how he could get close enough to the man to figure out what was going on behind the scenes. There was no way someone like Bernard wasn’t hiding something. He’d once painted a mural for the playwright. But that was a few years ago and with the theatre owner’s failing memory, it was a safe bet to say the old fossil had long since forgotten about the artist.

Perhaps if he posed as wanting to help with the production of the next play he could find out more. It wasn’t exactly something he’d be looking forward to when Bernard’s troupe came to mind. Most people didn’t want to stick around because of his troupe, they were a pain. A cluster of pigheaded brats who bullied and chased people out of the productions. It was a wonder Bernard kept them and didn’t look to replace the current group he had. Maybe it was due in part to their talent, or for some other more nefarious reason. On the bright side, the man usually had a few spots open each time he held a performance.

There had been a long span of silence after Nathan received the confirmation text stating that the body discovered was that of Jessica Fontaine. Cez finally broke the silence, though perhaps it wasn’t what the detective had expected. “Hey, can I ask you something?” the journalist began, as he turned his gaze away from the television and onto Nathan. The man still wanted to continue with this case, even if he couldn’t inform anyone else, even if it meant sneaking around behind his own department’s back. There was something to be said about that, or asked at any rate. “What made you want to become a detective? For you, I can’t imagine it was just something your father did, so you followed in his footsteps.”

FEV
PM
^
Nathaniel Halsted
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 01:22 PM
Nathaniel Halsted
@MarcyPan

He'd hoped when his partner finally spoke that it would be to tell him all about his lead, not to ask something, but perhaps this was part of it. Another test or he was looking for something in his answer. The detective could hardly begin to guess, Cezanne was for lack of a better word a weirdo, who knew what he wanted to ask. He gave a nod, "Hm?" He said turning looking at his partner after a brief glance at his phone to check the time.

Nathan was a bit caught off guard by the question, he hadn't expected his partner to ask that. No one ever asked that they just assumed whatever they wanted. His eyebrows furrowed, for a moment he considered giving him the generic answer. The answer they all offered, which was true just the same. They did do this to help people, but there was more to it than that.

"I was an army ranger for a long time when I was done serving, it was hard to get used to civilian life again. You can't just turn it off." He shrugged thinking about when he'd first came home. How weird it all felt, how strange it was not to have a full schedule of things to do. "Most of us always end up serving somewhere, firefighter, security, for me tho, there was only one choice. Cop." He glanced at the TV briefly as they announced the breaking news about Jessica. Someone must've leaked it. He turned back to Cez, "The job provided me the opportunity to help some people, sure we always wish there were more people we could help. But you know, the law sometimes gets in the way." One side of his lips curled upward in a half-smile.

"Nah, I grew up in the system. Which is another reason, gives me a chance sometimes to help some of those kids." When he was a kid he'd wondered 'why?' Like any normal kid, but now, he didn't care. He liked his makeshift army and police family. Blood wasn't always everything. He saw it every day on the job, he preferred the idea of a family by earning it, by being there for each other. "And of course, I still get to carry my gun." He laughed at that bit, "I can't pretend that wasn't part of the decision. Well, that and I don't like to cook, which is fifty percent of firefighters jobs. Also, I often can't sleep, which is great for stakeouts." He laughed again at his firemen joke, he knew a couple of firefighters; he just liked to give them a hard time.

Nathan grew quiet now, wondering if to ask straight out about the lead, but at the same time, if Cezanne didn't volunteer the information, he'd have to ask. "What about you, huh, why journalist?"

"."

by FEV
PM
^
Cezanne Beauvais
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 06:30 PM
Cezanne Beauvais
@Lashes

Song

Outfit

So Nathan had served. Then he shouldn’t be a stranger to intense life or death situations. He should be accustomed to the unexpected occurring. It was a good thing, to know that the man had specialized training. Not that any of that had really helped them when it came to being captured.

Cezanne could only imagine what it must have been like for Nathan, coming back into civilian life. It couldn’t have been easy. The journalist had read enough stories to be aware of the side effects of war. The strain it puts on the body, not only physically, but mentally. The thought made a few questions present themselves in the journalist’s mind. But, he wouldn’t ask, they weren’t well enough acquainted with one another for such intimate questions. Apart from the inquiries, it also told Cezanne a few things. Mainly, it disclosed Nathan’s drive and willingness to take on such a precarious exploit as this.

His thoughts shifted, as a realization came to mind. Itzely, she could help him get into Bernard’s production. She’d become quite close with Charles since they had met at the old playwright’s party.

Nathan gave a few more frivolous reasons for his career choice, and through it all Cezanne said nothing because he had fallen asleep. He just listened until the detective had finished speaking, then he turned away, reverting his attention back to the television where they announced a break in the story pertaining to Wonderland Hotel. A small interval of silence grew between the pair. Nathan finally broke the silence with a question of his own.

Cezanne’s eyes remained fixed on the screen for a short moment, before turning to him, and with a very blase expression on his face, he simply replied, “My father owned Spectateur. Je l'ai hérité.” he gave a small shrug of his shoulders. “I took it over.” With that being said, he turned back to the screen. While he considered that fact that Itzely had said Bernard was going to be putting on a new show soon. The timing would be perfect. The only issue was Charles. If he found out Cezanne was going to be part of the production, he’d definitely want a part in the play. Sneaking around with that man was no easy feat. He could, however, be used in a more beneficial way. Charles was good at garnering people’s attention.

The journalist gave a small sigh. “Bernard is hiding something, I’m sure,” he began, shifting on the bed to bring his full attention to Nathan, though his eyes darted away for a fraction of a second as he considered how best to go about explaining his plan. “I can get into an upcoming play and try to find out more about him. As far as what I’d looked into about Bernard, well, I know he’s had a few people go missing sometime after joining his troupe throughout the years. I wouldn’t know what he’s doing until I--we start investigating him.” There was a short breathing space before he continued, “Depending on what we find, and how big of a story the discovery could make...the cult might think that the police were just looking into Bernard. Seeing as how he was close with Leonard. Especially…” he halted his words, knowing that Nathan, more than likely, wasn’t going to like what he was going to suggest next. “Because after that, we’re going to have to go quiet for a bit. Hold off on any real action against them...I mean...in the meantime we can work on suspects and potential leads...It’s just...we can’t risk them going into hiding.”

Cezanne cast his eyes downwards to the sheet on the bed, staring at the stitching on the fabric. “Thanks,” he said at last, his eyes meeting Nathans. “For coming back for me.” His gaze fell back to the bedding. “I’ll let you know everything I find out about Bernard. Lets just hope whatever we do find is actually something worthwhile.”

FEV
PM
^
Nathaniel Halsted
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 11:49 PM
Nathaniel Halsted
@MarcyPan

Cezanne's answer to his question wasn't really the answer someone would expect, but Nate didn't pry further. So it was a family business then, hm... Guess it made sense now, why the journalist was so meticulous and was willing to chase the story no matter what. He could respect that, they both had different end goals, but they could both agree, that catching them was a priority.

Nathan gave a nod of agreement, given what they saw, Bernard wasn't innocent, and Cezanne was right that if they dug deep enough, they'd find plenty of dirt. It was his idea that Nate didn't like. He immediately wanted to protest, but he bit his tongue and let his partner finish telling him his plan. It was a good idea, and it was the only way back in that they had, the problem was-- "Would you at least wear a wire? We have some that are small and embedded in items; I won't tape a microphone to your chest." Of course as he expected his partner was quick to say no, Nate was just trying to be cautious after last night. "A tracker then, in case..." In case Bernard caught him snooping around something, or worse someone recognized him. That had also been shot down by the journalist. He knew Cez would do it anyway, so best to at least try to be on standby.

The detective paused at what Cez said, so, he wanted to catch Bernard then lay low? This was a frustrating idea, and he didn't have to like it-- but, he could agree. The man had a point, and he gave a nod. "Yeah, you do make a good point. We need to be more cautious of how and when we do approach the cult."

Nate sighed, "Okay, well I want text updates, I don't like the idea of you going in there blind." without backup. This was the one area Cezanne agreed, he would text. The detective would say he'd go and try out but who was Nathan kidding, Cezanne had been right about that too-- Nate wasn't an artist. Of course, he wouldn't tell his partner that.

Cezanne's next words had Nate looking at him with faint shock, Nate just nodded. "Of course, never leave a man behind. Besides, you came back for me first." He lived by those words, and he also knew Cez would've done the same thing for him. He had come to that room and tried to save him. That was why Nate stuck around, despite how hard it was for him to honor all of the journalist rules.

Cezanne was loyal, honorable, and reliable. You could count on him to have your back.

Then they got into their onesies and jumped on the bed singing Bananas in Pajamas."

The End.

"."

by FEV
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Candyland Couture Rockin Roleplay

skin by miss texas at cttw, cc, and shine